When you are working in a company with lots of co-workers for more than 8 hours a day, you might have some conflicts. Getting along with coworkers can be challenging, but not impossible. To have a good relationship with your coworkers and stay away from the bad ones, here are some things you must learn.
- Communicate well- The best way to know somebody is by spending time with them and talking to them. You need to know what you share in common with them- hobbies, tastes, kids, sports etc. However, you must take care that you do not use this info from gossiping with other workers. This might bring people close to each other but, it has a negative effect at the work place.
- Control your emotions- You must totally avoid displaying negative behavior, like avoiding eye contact, hostility, physical discomfort etc, with a co-worker especially the ones you do not care about or like. You have to know how to control your emotions.
- Help- Do not go to your office for just work. Find ways to go above and beyond your job functions. You cannot go far with just work for 8 long hours. Try to help an overwhelmed co-worker. Hold the elevator, car pool or even share your lunch.
- Be courteous- One of the easiest and simplest ways is to keep positive energy going by simply smiling and saying hello to everyone in your office. It is also one of the best ways to start a conversation with your colleague you do not know very well. Be positive and courteous and you will get very well along with your coworkers.
- Improve your social skills- A huge part of mingling with your coworkers is to read the social signs, especially with the group discussions. You must be able to analyze the situation correctly and conform as per need. If you do not do this then the opposite will be expecting the social situation to conform to you, which will make you land up in uncomfortable situations and social awkwardness.
6. Do not assume things- When a situation arises at work, do not overreact to it, stay calm and get all the facts first before you react to the situation. You must never make assumptions. If a situation arises which does not concern you, but you have to get involved to make amends then in a non-hostile way get clarification from both the parties involved. Try to process all the information before you intervene and react using the proper chain of command.
7.Avoid politics at office- It should be in your best interest totally to avoid the office politics. Do not get caught in the game of picking sides in office politics, identifying good guys and bad guys. To get along well with your office mates, stay neutral and focused on your work, and be yourself all the time.