Good copywriters can do very well and enjoy a great lifestyle. They have two options for work:
- They can work as employees of a large company and be responsible for maintaining its website, its blog, its social media accounts, and other content marketing. The advantage is job security, a retirement, and stable income.
- They can work as freelancers, performing all of these functions for a variety of clients. For people who like flexibility of work hours and life in general, this is a good option. They can work from anywhere and anytime, as long as they meet their clients’ deadlines. They can work for copywriting services, like Essays Deluxe or for individual small business owners. They do have to be comfortable with a flexible income, though, because there will be highs and lows.
Most copywriters have a degree, either two-year or four-year in English composition or journalism. Journalism is probably preferred, because the writing style is similar to that of copywriting.
Some schools offer coursework in copywriting, and there are also online courses that can be helpful, whether they offer a degree or not.
During the years of academic training, it is important that students develop a portfolio of their best work, and ideally a website that begins to establish themselves as professionals.
During these years too, would-be copywriters can try out their skills by taking on projects offered by EssaysDeluxe. They have to be careful, though, because any copywriting work that is completed for a writing service belongs to that service and its clients and cannot then be included in a portfolio. But the experience is valuable.
Copywriters are often hired, either by companies or clients, based upon their actual product examples rather than their degrees.
Copywriters must possess or develop a very specific set of skills, if they intend to be successful. Here is a minimal list:
- They must be creative as writers. One of the most important aspects of successful copywriting is the ability to create amazing titles and headlines that will engage readers immediately.
- They need to craft educational, entertaining, and inspirational content that will keep readers engaged and excited about reading/viewing what is being presented.
- They need to be able to simplify their writing to simple sentences and a vocabulary and style that is about the equivalent of a 7th grade reading level. Target audiences want easy-to-read content that gives them what they want quickly.
- They need to be able to find, create, and imbed visual content to replace written text – it will engage readers/viewers more. Taking copywriting jobs from Essays Deluxe will give great opportunities to practice this.
- They need to be able to make use of great tools that are now available to copywriters – headline/title generators, visual content creators, and tools that will evaluate writing style and reading level, such as Hemingway Editor and Grammarly.
Self-Marketing for Freelancers
Freelancers must establish a reputation for talent and expertise, and the ability to meet deadlines. Part of this can come from working for writing agencies, such as EssaysDeluxe; part of this can come from references that come from clients and that can be published on a personal website; part of this comes from clients who are willing to be contacted by potential clients.
Serious freelancers will also develop a social media presence so that they can drive potential clients to their websites and portfolios.
It takes time to develop a solid reputation. A lot of business growth will come through word-of-mouth advertising – happy clients will refer others.
Another important strategy is called the “elevator pitch” – a creative, 30-second pitch that can be delivered whenever anyone asks, “What do you do?” Have that pitch practiced and be read to deliver it at any time, along with a business card that can be handed out.
Freelance copywriters should also network. This can happen online, such as joining groups on Facebook or LinkedIn and actively participating. At a local level, copywriters should join business networking groups – as many as possible. These are great places to pick up clients and referrals.
Above all, freelance copywriters must understand that building a business takes time. Patience is required. In the meantime, they can take work and assignments wherever they can find it – jobs boards, online clearing houses for freelancers, and companies like Essays Deluxe. These will bring in income while a business is being grown.
Copywriters are Special People
Good copywriters will always be in demand, as long as they stay current in their field and use their own creative skills/talents, along with the great tools that are now available. The profession will continue to evolve, as all careers do. But there will always be a need for human creativity and for the ability to engage and motivate consumers.